Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Finding solid ground

I made it! Through two straight days of -25 degrees Celsius. Centigrade makes most everything seem ridiculous. It's only around -13 degrees Fahrenheit. Hardly something to cry about. Still, I think I've reached a tolerance level for coldness. It actually hurts to walk places. Physical pain. The wind is killer.

The route to school encompasses 7-10 blocks (or maybe I'm exaggerating). At first it was fascinating, and it still is somewhat, but it keeps getting longer and longer.


I counteract the near-frostbite I receive on the way to and fro by buying a large cup of hot chocolate or similarly warm product. Somehow, the two -- weather and warm product -- cancel each other out. My personal challenge for the next few months is to obtain hot chocolate from every vendor in Montreal. It may be difficult, but I believe my constitution is up for it. Last night was Becky's birthday. She's one of my roommates. A nice, round twenty-two years of age. It's old, but not too old. Actually, it's not old at all. I'm rounding that corner, albeit in a year. But anyway, she decided to go to an Italian place that is BYOW. Fantastic. Pre-dinner, I experienced my first fall of the season. Stepping into the road, I slid perfectly onto my back. There was no back-breaking or butt-bumping, just smooth. It was almost majestic. 


Afterwards we hit the town. I'm always more fond of the dive bars (or relatively dive-y), just because they feel too comfortable. The other places are a little tense for me. I'll get used to it.

It also seems that in coming here, I underestimated the aridity because for the first time in my life I need chapstick. But now my lips are exceptionally smooth and soft. 


Just like that. Except I oftentimes do not wear lipstick, unless the occasion warrants. In some shape or form related: I actually wonder if the napkin kiss ever happens in real life. Like so:


And if it does: if it is that woman's sole form of writing her number. At what point is that acceptable? You'd have to have enough lipstick to make it happen. Half a mouth is hardly sensuous. I think my goal here will be to elicit such a response from a woman. Or at least get into a conversation about it. Either way, I'll update you.

Anyway, everyone here pretty much hates winter. Either that, or they fake it to fit in with everyone else. Even though it's pretty brutal, I can't help but wonder at the powdery beautifulness of it. Perhaps because I know I am leaving it at some point, or because I act like a small child. It makes for scenic routes and deep thoughts. However, it also makes for hard falls and trudgery. It's easier to slide than to walk in most cases. I don't see anyone else doing it and it probably makes me look awkward, but it's brilliant. For the entire route home the other day, I slid. I slid past banks, past people, and past one dog that had little dog slippers on.

The dog slippers didn't make sense at first. I'd seen it multiple times before in the short time I've been here, but I thought they were anomalies. The fact is: every dog here wears slippers. But after thinking about it, it makes good sense. There is a lot of watery grossness all over, so one would ideally want to keep that out of the house.


So I'm getting used to Montreal. Soon, I'll be able to walk around and not get lost hopefully. I've made a couple of friends, too. As a result, my new phone has almost 5 entries, yeaaaaaah.

I think I'm going to make a trip to Vermont next weekend, if all goes as planned. Ben and Jerry's here I come!

No comments: