Sunday, June 15, 2008

I am surrounded by the beach here except there is no water. It is a frustrating experience driving in a jeep into effectively no where. After every sand dune and every small village community, I couldn't wait to see the sparkling water on the other side. It never came.
What kind of run down can I provide for the last couple days in the world's most inhospitable place? Let's see:

I drank too much chai
I drank too much unfiltered water
I did not get sick
I did not care
I cared
I related
I felt privileged
I felt proud
I felt sad
I felt happy
I used the sky as a blanket
I wore the same sweat drenched clothes three times
I did not eat any meat
I visited two families who had a member recently die
I played cricket
I did not see conspicuous consumption
I ate just enough
I pet a cow
I talked about America way too much
I defined a Yankee
I learned how to say 'I will drink your blood' in Hindi
I saw necessity
I saw green in the desert
I saw people living where they should not
I saw modernity clash with untouchable nature
I saw poverty
I saw the impossible
I saw the possible.

That being said, it's a really beautiful place. For a good half of the trip I was staring out of my opened window. As a result, my hair is permanently wind-swept.
That's what's going on in a nutshell. It's pretty sweet. Oh yeah, today I had a mango milkshake, it was delicious. Fun fact for the day: "There is more vitamin C in one mango than in a field of lost jackals." It's very true, look it up.

No comments: