Friday, July 18, 2008

All the small things

Things are winding down here in the rainless city. I am writing the final report and it's moving along. A myriad of things have happened in my wake that I must record somewhere. For instance two days ago, Juliana was playing with a three-year old boy and broke her nose. It was shocking but someone had to do it -- I mean, to some extent, it was destined. The whole thing is rather funny actually, you can read about it at her blog if you'd like a more detailed explanation of the events that transpired between her and the devil child.

said devil child, Ayoosh

Other events are filling the time as well, between writing the report and sitting around. I finished the Namesake -- what a book. I've never read something that summarizes my life so well. For those that haven't read it, it's worth it.

And then there was Jaisalmer. Camels ... need I say more? Now I've ridden camels before but not for six hours a day for two days. What seemed glamorous at first turned into a groin's nightmare as I rode into the desert sun. Edgar, the camel, was comforting however. I liked him more than any other camel I rode; probably because we got to know each other. I'll most likely never forget the guy.

Edgar's neck whilst sporting Jasdeep

Before we left on the big adventure children propositioned me for a shoe-shining, but I politely refused. To get back at me, they asked for a picture. Apparently, as I later found out, the picture cost "chai". I didn't fall for their shenanigans.

The shoe polishing trio

We also toured the city for a while and took a look at the fort. In fact, we stayed inside. There were a large number of Jain temples in the city which sported some interesting signs concerning women and their periods. It makes sense for the most part.

Jains being Jains

While visiting the Jains, we ran across a very bold tourist wearing spandex biking shorts. His audacity was astounding, but I think he was French. I snapped a picture or two behind his back -- and make no mistake I worked for them, waiting around thirty minutes for him to finish his sight-seeing.

Adventure tourism

There was also the failed homemade mango beer that exploded during the train ride, on the ride to the fort, and in the hotel. You may ask how something can explode so many times and the answer is an ever-fermenting closed bottle of homemade mango beer.

Activating yeast

Anyway, I leave in a week's time. After that I will be in Punjab visiting relatives and then I'm off to England!

No comments: